Sunday, 13 April 2014

IMAGINE THE POSSIBILITIES

When I first saw, touched and used a computer in the year 2000, little did I know what would come out of that experience. I can clearly remember the excitement that consumed me. It was an opportunity to explore a whole new world. I pressed on every possible button and voila!, the machine was on. I think it was running on Windows 95 Operating System. For an eleven year old boy, this was an adventure that tickled my mind. At that time, I only used computers to play games. Today, I can do a lot more with them. Fortunately, I have been in position to transfer this knowledge to so many people who are just being introduced to the world of computers.

I am blessed to have been introduced to computers and the internet a little early in my life, especially for someone in a developing country. How about that very brilliant young man or woman living upcountry who has no idea on what technology is? Should we just sit back and leave them in the dark when we are living in an era of information? Should we deny them the right to accessing computers and the internet when we can do something about it? A 2011 report by the UN tells us that access to the internet is a human right and continues to say "without concrete policies and plans of action, the internet will become a technological tool that is accessible only to a certain elite while perpetrating the digital divide". Should we allow this digital divide to happen in this country? No, at least not on our watch. Something should be and is being done about this.

With a solid plan, the partnership between Microsoft, KiBO Foundation, and Right To Play is empowering communities with practical knowledge and skills regarding the use of computers and the internet. One community at a time and the entire country will be able to express their right to using the internet. It does not matter how long this takes, the dream will be achieved. You too can join this mission by donating computers, sponsoring a student or a community, or even sharing your knowledge with people just being introduced to computers. Together, we can do more....          

             

No comments:

Post a Comment